Fresh Trout - How to Cook this Delicate Fresh Water Fish.
I have the pleasure of living in an area of the world where I can literally, fish for my supper. From the sea or lakes, with fishing rod in hand, I can go out to any lake and catch trout. brown trout are plentiful all over the world and are a great fish for restocking lakes and rivers.
Perfect for Cooking.
The brown trout can grow up to to 44 lbs, but the most common catch is about 2 lbs. When farmed, they are almost always sterile due to the conditions. The flesh is about 1/2 inch thick, red in color and has a very delicate flavor. Compared to the salmon in color the trout fillet also does not contain a lot of bones. To cook the brown trout, heat management is the key, since most of the cooking is done on the skin side, and then finished on the flesh side. One of the most common mistakes a home cook makes is not allowing the pan to come up to temperature. There is no such thing as "instant" heat. Albeit some gas and induction ranges come close. [amazon_link asins='B00GMCAM2G' template='ProductCarousel' store='FP054-20' marketplace='US' link_id='5ec9d988-5903-11e7-930f-c7e9acf62751']
- 1 trout fillet
- 1 lb. of Brussel sprouts
- 900 ml unsalted chicken stock
- 1 table spoon of grapeseed oil
- 2 table spoons of butter
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- To Clean our sprouts, and gain optimal cooking, cut off the bottom of each sprout to allow the outer leaves to be peeled off. Then cut an X in the bottom of each sprout. This allows for the thicker part of the sprout to cook at the same time as the leaves.
- Put your cleaned sprouts in a pot and cover with the chicken stock. Add about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Pat dry the trout with a paper towel.
- Then lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Put your frying pan on a medium high heat, wait a couple of minutes and add grape seed oil and butter.
- When the butter starts to bubble, put your trout in the pan, always away from you. Then add your rosemary.
- Don’t touch it for at least 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, baste the fish for about 30 seconds and turn over, gently.
- Turn off the heat, and drain your sprouts.
- And serve.
Enjoy this Global Delicacy. Watch my video on how to Pan Fry Trout .