The Original Halifax Donair
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Halifax Donair. From pub crawls in the 70’s to today when I crave one right from the source. he Halifax Donair is a take on the Greek Gyro, but with ground beef and a unique sauce. I prepared one from scratch on my Youtube Channel .
Here is the recipe for you.
Halifax Donair Recipe
Originating in the 70's in Halifax Nova Scotia, this remake of the Gyro quickly became a favorite and soon the official food of Halifax.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 2 tsp of ground black pepper
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and using a mixer and bread hook, blend for at least 5 minutes on a low setting.
- Then take meat and form a loaf about 8 inches in length.
- Be sure to kneed and roll the loaf to get all the air out of it.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
- To make this thick sauce combine 300 ml sweet condensed milk with 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1/4 cup of vinegar.
- Mix, cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
I hope you try this.