The Pasta Sauce Series - Carbonara Sauce
I have started a small series on my YouTube channel on pasta sauces. From my own experience with making sauces, I wanted to dig deeper into the authentic sauces from Italy. What I discovered is really the fundamental rule most Italians use when making sauces that quality ingredients, and patience make the best sauces.
This 4 part video series concentrates on the “ mother” sauces that don’t take a lot of time to make, yet deliver on flavor..
The Carbonara Sauce
The first sauce is perfect with spaghetti and with a few ingredients you get a creamy delicate sauce with out the use of dairy.
A sauce that is creamy, but does not use cream. Eggs and cheese help make this a smooth, tastey sauce.
- 3 strips thick bacon
- 1 1/2 TBL grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 TBL Pecorino Cheese
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 glove garlic
- Get the spaghetti on the boil in lightly salted water.
- Cube the bacon into 1/4 Inch pieces
- add bacon to the cold frying pan and bring up the heat to medium-high. This helps to render the bacon faster.
- Grate your cheeses
- Grind peppercorns, and sift to remove outer husks
- Crush the garlic clove and add to frying bacon
- In a bowl add 1 egg and the yolk of the second.
- Add cheese to eggs, and mix up to incorporate fully.
- When bacon is rendered, turn off heat and let sit for a minute or so to cool down
- Add cooked pasta to frying pan, constantly stirring to reduce heat and add a little pasta water to prevent drying out.
- Once frying sound has stopped, stir to begin emulsification of oil and water, then add eggs and cheese.
- If it looks thick add a little water from pasta
- When sauce looks like a cream sauce and is smooth, plate and serve with some grated cheese over top and add the pepper.
Enjoy this Spaghetti Carbonara